Tony Chen is a critically-acclaimed Contemporary Instrumental and New Age music composer, and voice over talent. He is an active Grammy voting member, was an official contender for best original score and best original song at the 86th Academy Awards, and has won numerous awards for his music compositions and movie scores. Tony’s music is inspired by the beauty he finds in nature and the spiritual discipline and moral philosophy of the chinese meditation practice, Falun Gong. His mission in creating music is to create sounds that can positively impact the lives of others and inspire peace and equality. Originally from Beijing, China, Tony’s passion for music started with the comforting sounds of artists like Yanni, Enya, and Kitaro. Tony became enchanted with the joyful, moving vibes of New Age music and was drawn to the genre because of the ambient sound that exemplifies positivity and harmony. He received his first keyboard from his father at age 14 and he fell in love with creating music. The self-taught artist began producing beautiful pieces of work at the early age of 17. While Tony was discovering his musical talent, he was also honing his craft as a voice actor. He knew he wanted to pursue a career in music and vocal performance, so Tony moved to the UK for formal training at the University of Huddersfield and then to the U.S. to further pursue his passions. In 2011, Tony composed the score for the documentary film, “Free China: The Courage to Believe”, a telling of the persecution of the Chinese spiritual practice of Falun Gong, starring Jennifer Zeng and Dr. Charles Lee. Tony received praise for his work and his songs and the score were nominated for Best Soundtrack/Album at the 2012 Hollywood Music in Media Awards as well as awarded the Best Theme Song Award for the Indie/Documentary/Short category at the 2013 Hollywood Music in Media Awards. The score also won the Best Music Award at the 3rd Bangalore Shorts Film Festival in 2014. Tony has released 4 studio albums since 2011. To reflect his dedication to the promotion of traditional Chinese culture, Tony released his first studio album, Divine Land of China, in 2011. The album was created in traditional Chinese style, but also satisfies modern musical tastes. His critically acclaimed album, At Ease, was released in 2013. The album reflected Tony’s journey of self-discovery from 2009 to 2013. From letting go of selfish desires and living life with a fulfilled heart, the album exemplifies tranquility and peace. Followed by At Ease, Tony released a special collection of delicate piano solos entitled, A New Story. Each song is filled with heartwarming melodies and relaxing atmospheric sounds. In 2017, Tony released The Mighty Heroes, an album containing a mix of Eastern and Western styles that deliver diverse rhythms and a special balance between gentle and bold sounds.
In addition to composing, Tony Chen is also a bilingual voice over artist specializing in Mandarin Chinese and English (British or Chinese Accent). Tony is an unparalleled talent in his field. He is distinguished by his ability to effectively grasp complex mentalities of characters and bring the audience into the plot through his crisp, clear delivery. Tony is versatile and can change accents with seamless accuracy. His superior vocal quality and talent has led him to work with large client all over the world, including New Tang Dynasty Television, Disney, PepsiCo, Microsoft, Dreamworks, Symantec, and many more. In addition to his numerous vocal and musical achievements, Tony strives to bring awareness to the danger and human rights violations currently going on in Communist China today in relation to Falun Gong through his works. The practice became widespread in 1992 and although over 100 million people were following the practice that combines meditation and exercises, it became illegal in 1999 in China due to its popularity over communism. Individuals who practice Falun Gong in China are subject to torture, death, and even organ harvesting. Tony is guided by the main principles of Falun Gong: truthfulness, compassion and tolerance. His mission is to bring peace to his audience through his music, like his spirituality has brought him. Tony’s background and experiences have had a profound influence on him, making him the inspirational musician the music industry has been waiting for. A gifted composer with a delicate sound, Tony Chen is the embodiment of pure talent and selflessness. His East-West background allows his music to transcend culture and genres to bring his listeners unique experiences through music. A celebrated composer dedicated to his craft, Tony instills feelings of hope, serenity, and magnificence in each composition. He works tirelessly to produce impeccable voice performances and music compositions, all to fulfill his mission of healing others through his work. Tony does not follow the commercial trends of the industry, instead he creates music that is beneficial to people’s well-being and aims to make the world a better place by maintaining moral standards for all.
Notable Awards & Nominations
- 2016 Hollywood Music in Media Awards Music Genre Nominee in New Age/Ambient Category for the song "A Nostalgic Melody"
- Fan-Selected Winner of The 14th Annual Independent Music Awards for the song “Recognizing the Beloved One”
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards Music Genre Nominee in New Age/Ambient Category for the song "Memory of Time-Space"
- Honor Finalist of 2014 USA Songwriting Competition in the "Instrumental" Category for the song "Flying High Above"
- Winner of the 2014 Hollywood Music in Media Awards Music Genre Winner in World Music Category for the song "Taste Asia - Delicious Chinese Cuisine"
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards Music Genre Nominee in Contemporary/Orchestral/Instrumental category for the song "Flying High Above"
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards Music Genre Nominee in New Age/Ambient Category for the song "Warm Romance Serenade"
- Official Contender for "Best Original Score" and "Best Original Song" at the 86th Oscars for “Free China: The Courage to Believe” theme song and "Free China" soundtrack
- Nominee for the 13th Annual Independent Music Awards for the album At Ease, in the "Contemporary Classical Album" category
- Winner for Best Song in the Indie Film/Documentary/Short Category at 2013 Hollywood Music In Media Awards For “Free China: The Courage to Believe” theme song
- Hollywood Music In Media Awards Music Genre Nominee in Contemporary/Orchestral/Instrumental category for the song "At Ease"
- Finalist of The 14th Annual Great American Song Contest in the Instrumental Category for the song "The End of April" in the instrumental category
- Official Nominee at the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards in the Soundtrack/Cast Recording category for "Free China: The Courage to Believe" soundtrack
- Hollywood Music In Media Awards Nominee for Best Soundtrack for the "Free China: The Courage to Believe" album”
- Winner at The 11th Annual Independent Music Awards for the song, “Sweet Smile”, won in the New Age Song Category
- Won in the Instrumental Category at The 13th Annual Great American Song Contest for the song, “Recognizing the Beloved One”
- Top 5 Winner at the 12th Annual Great American Song Contest for the song, “Sweet Smile”
- Fan-Selected Winner at the 10th Annual Independent Music Awards for the song “Righteous Marching”
- Nominee for the "Song Used in Film/TV/Multimedia" award at the 10th Annual Independent Music for the song “Righteous Marching”
For a full list of Awards and Testimonials, click here.